BRISCOE RANCH (VILLAS 26-28)
Uvalde, TX | Founded 1939
Brewster, Culberson, Dimmit, La Salle, Maverick, McMullen, Uvalde, Webb, and Zavalal Counties
Andrew Briscoe came to Texas about 1832. His is the last signature on the Texas Declaration of lndependence. Around 1910 his son, Dolph Briscoe, Sr., set out from Fort Bend County looking for good, strong ranch country. Dolph Briscoe, Sr. had seen his fair share of profit and loss, going broke several times before buying 35,000 acres of the Catarina Ranch in 1939. It was the first in a series of acquisitions that would eventually be passed down to his son.
In 1954, Dolph Briscoe, Jr. inherited 190,000 acres from his father who had been ranching in Texas for almost half a century. Dolph Briscoe, Jr. more than tripled the size of the family holdings and with 640,000 acres, became the largest individual land owner in Texas. He served In the Texas Legislature, first as a Representative and then as from 1973 to 1979.
The Briscoe ranch is still family owned; the legacy passing to Dos Junior’s three children upon his death in 2010. They run 15,000 head of cattle and still have a heard of angora goats which, in former years, proved to be more profitable than cattle. The Briscoe family are active philanthropist, providing several generous endowments which included helping to found the Briscoe western art museum on the Riverwalk here in San Antonio.
- Photo Gallery
- Book Now